Sunday 22 July 2007

Day Six:


So we had our first full day with Pitseng H.S. today. While they do have a seen it all before attitude there are very few of them who's skills match up to the attitude. There are three or four people who will probably fly through the workbooks and get some extra tuition but the rest are of average ability. The Sister who runs the school is a sight to see! Her name is Sister Juliet and her reputation is that of a bit of a battleaxe but Deirdre is put teaching her and I think she just loves Dee's laugh and banter so she comes across as quite harmless but I'm sure if she wanted to put you in your place she could! I have to also add she has the largest arse I've ever encountered in my life, if I'm feeling brave tomorrow I might try and get a snap of it!There is also a very intelligent man called John Tau in our class. He teaches English at the school and has a real dignified air about him that just demands respect. I really enjoy talking to him and he reminds me of Moleko from St. Peter's who I also enjoyed sitting down with and just nattering away to, both men have such amazing insights on life and it's such a privilege to meet them. His name Tau is Sesotho for lion and Pitseng Ha Tau is the full name of the town we are in at the minute so I presume his family would be held in high esteem here. Pitseng's name comes from overhangs in nearby caves which were used as shelter for the Basotho and to protect them when in danger and the guest house we are in overlooks the Malutis (also the name of the beer we have been living on) which are some of the most amazing mountain ranges, this whole place is just full of stunning views no matter where you turn.Tomorrow is Joe's 27th birthday so we are all getting ourselves ready for the celebrations!

No comments: