Tuesday 10 July 2007

Day Four

Unfortunately Helen left us today to head off home, she will definitely be missed from the group and it's a pity she's gone but we have a job to do and we have to get our heads down. We kind of know what to expect now after yesterday and after setting out a plan we flew through to material and the class seemed to be really responsive. There are some really advanced people and some not so advanced but one lad in particular has been the class star, Tolo is sixteen and is at the classes with his Mum who is a teacher in the district. He is so eager to learn and has such an passion for computers. I keep telling his Mum, who's name is Eclett, that he's gonna be the Lesothan Bill Gates and that she better remember I taught him all he knows when he's loaded. The class seem to be really getting into it. Today we are covering Calc (spreadsheets) and the older ones in particular love when they put in a formula and see how the computer does all the work for them. I had a talk with Anastacia (the local chiefs wife) about where she is in charge of and what her duties are. She has responsibility for a pretty large area and basically must allocate land, resolve disputes and so on. So if someone was letting their cattle graze somewhere they shouldnt its her job to sort them out and believe me she would most definitely sort them out I'm sure. Her son is studying in Jo'burg and once he is finished and wants to return to Buthe-Buthe he will take over her duties. I told her that I would take the place of her son she I'm now officially the co-chief of Buthe-Buthe and have been adopted as her Irish son!! So don't fuck with me or your cattle will have nowhere to eat!Tonight was our last night staying in Steven's guesthouse. Where we stay is seperate from his house but when we are eating dinner we eat in their dining room. We have built up a bit of a bond with Steven as we're staying with him and teaching him too. His wife Mama Tela is absolutely hilarious and always laughing. So seeing as it is our last night with them we sat down and had a few drinks with them. I reckon they had maybe started a bit before us because they seemed pretty merry when we sat down but it turned out to be the most surreal, hilarious and interesting dinner ever! Mama Tela had to head off to bed after a while due to excessive adult beverage consumption but she was so hilarious, constantly laughing and very witty. Steven was telling us how he is a descendant of a tribe of cannibals (nice one Jonas and Carla, put us in a cannibals house for three nights!) and this tribe killed and ate Moshoeshoe I(pronounced Mo-Shwey-Shwey)'s father. Moshoeshoe was the first King of Lesotho and seems to be a very fair wise leader, he united all the Basotho people and the people of Lesotho seem to all be very proud of him. He found the tribe who cannibalised his father and captured them all and when asked if he would kill or murder them all he said No I will not because you are my father's grave and I must respect my Father's grave. It was such an interesting tale to here and from what I've learned Moshoeshoe seems to be an amazing figure and I really want to find out more about him from the people I meet. The night turned into quite a blur after that and the six o'clock morning wake up call doesn't seem too attractive!Still no bags!!

No comments: